10 South Coast facts that will get you excited to visit KZN
A travel destination for families, adventure seekers, nature lovers, foodies and those who just want some good old-fashioned rest and relaxation.
1. Idylic weather: The South Coast is a year-round destination, offering 9 warm summer months and 3 perfect winter months.
2. Endless golden beaches: 120 kms of golden beaches from Umkomaas (near Scottburgh), only 40 minutes south of Durban, to Port Edward and the Wild Coast Sun in the Eastern Cape.
3. Blue Flag beaches: The South Coast boasts 7 internationally-recognised Blue Flag Beaches
4. Hinterland wonderland: Discover breathtaking gorges and forests, including the Oribi Gorge and Weza Ingeli Forests.
5. SA's Top golf courses: You'll be spoilt for choice with 11 golf courses along the South Coast, many of which are in the top 100 in South Africa.
Hanging out on the South Coast will leave you spoilt for choice.
6. Red Desert: The smallest desert in the world is 170 kms from Durban next to a small town called Port Edward. The Red Desert is 200 metres in width.
7. Gorge Swing: The highest gorge swing in Africa.
8. Sardine Run: The greatest shoal on earth, the Sardine Run, where millions of sardines enter the waters of southern KwaZulu-Natal during the winter months from May to July.
9. Shark Diving: Home to 2 of the top 10 shark dive sites in the world, Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks
10. Lake Eland Zip-Line: The longest (and fastest) zipline in Southern Africa, the 4.5 km tours soar over the magnificent Oribi Gorge at a height of 300 meters.
Read more: Discover South Africa's top 10 beaches to visit this summer.