Northern MTB Trails, Gauteng
A mountain biker's dream
Northern Farm Nature Reserve offers more than 2500 hectares of picturesque grasslands and woodlands to explore. The Northern Farm trails is described as a "friendly" destination with different trails spanning over 62km suitable for beginners and competitive racers.
Northern Farm has four route options, each colour-coded and designed to suit specific riders. Cyclists can choose the route suited to distance and technical ability. As Northern Farm is a working farm, the trails are open only over weekends and public holidays.
- • Pink Route - 8km trail for kids around the farm roads with no obstacles
- • Green Route - Easy farm-road route covering 12km
- • Blue Route - 22km mix of open road and single-track with a few obstacles
- • Red Route - 34km intermediate route featuring more single-track and obstacles
- • Black Route - 62km route with long single-track, technical sections, rock gardens, and major obstacles
The farm has a coffee shop for riders to enjoy while getting their bikes washed. Proceeds from the bike wash go to the Diepsloot Development Project. Diepsloot Biking Academy is an initiative that teaches children how to ride and develops their mountain biking skills.
Northern Farm Nature Reserve is also a bird-watcher's paradise with over 270 species of birds. Other activities available include hiking, running trails, horse riding and picnicking at the numerous dams in the nature reserve.
- Grading: Easy to Intermediate
- Terrain: Dirt roads, single-track
- Distance: 8km to 62km (various colour-coded routes)
- Adults and Children: R50
- Northern Farm Nature Reserve, R114 and Falkirk Road, Diepsloot
To find out more about Northern Farm MTB Trails, visit their website.