Sandton Road closures - Eco-Mobility Month
Sandton CBD will be closed off to private vehicles from 1 - 31 October 2015.
The Eco-Mobility World Festival is taking place in Johannesburg from 1 - 31 October 2015 and will see the Sandton CBD transformed into a vehicle-free district for a month to raise local and international awareness of "eco-mobile" alternatives to fossil-fuel transport.
This means that during October, a number of roads in Sandton will be closed off to private vehicles.
Please note: First Car Rental's Sandton branch, located on the corner of Rivonia and South Road, will not be affected by the road closures.
Roads that will be closed off to private vehicles (with the exception of local residents) are: Maude Street (between Rivonia and Fifth); West Street (between Rivonia and Fredman); Alice Lane and Gwen Lane.
Sandton road closure map (click for a larger image):
Transport alternatives during the Eco-Mobility World Festival
By turning the Sandton CBD into a car-free zone, the Eco-Mobility World Festival aims to demonstrate to the world that an eco-mobile future is possible and that public transport, walking and cycling can be accessible, safe and attractive.
During the festival, alternative transport options will include:
• Park and Ride facilities to and from all major centres in the Sandton CBD.
• Tuk tuks, pedicabs and electric vehicles.
• An extended Rea Vaya bus network.
• 150 new Metrobuses fitted with environmentally-friendly combustion systems. Many of the existing Metrobus buses will also be re-fitted with a dual fuel system - natural gas and diesel.
• Newly-constructed bicycle and walking lanes.
• Arrangements will be made for deliveries, waste removal, emergency vehicles and the disabled.