May 2015 - Over the next few months, First Car Rental will be profiling a number of companies that form part of Thebe Investment Corporation, which is Combined Motor Holdings' (CMH) BBBEE partner. First Car Rental is a wholly-owned subsidiary of CMH.
The second company to be profiled is Club Travel - an award-winning full service travel agency with branches throughout South Africa.
Club Travel, a Level One Contributor, is owned by the Thebe Tourism Group (TTG), the first black empowerment group formed in South Africa.
Thebe Tourism Group was incorporated as a company in 2001 by Thebe Investment Corporation to create a uniquely South African tourism group targeting selected tourism opportunities in Southern Africa. To find out more go to www.thebetourism.co.za.
We asked Club Travel these questions:
Q1: In a nutshell, what does Club Travel do?
Club Travel is a Travel Consortium and the cornerstone of Club Travel's success is being true to our vision of offering customers the unique combination of best price, best service and long-term relationships.
Club Travel's bulk buying power enables us to negotiate competitive airfares and preferential rates with airlines worldwide and other suppliers such as hotels, car hire and cruise companies, tour operators, travel insurance and foreign exchange providers, etc.
These competitive rates coupled with cutting-edge technology and specialised travel expertise is the strong foundation on which Club Travel continues to grow its national presence.
We effectively operate in the following areas:
Leisure, Corporate, Executive and Online Travel; Groups/Conferences/Incentives/Events; and Franchise Business Opportunities.
Q2: Has Club Travel won any awards?
Club Travel's achievements have been recognised by receiving, amongst others, the following accolades:
• World Travel Awards - Africa's Leading Travel Agency Award 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014.
• World Travel Awards - South Africa's Leading Travel Agency 2014
• Golden Arrow Award - Most Professional Travel Agency, voted by Government and Business
• ASATA/Diners Club Award - Most Professional Travel Agency in South Africa
• Nominated as South Africa's Top Performing Company - 2007 & 2008, for "Sustained Excellence in Corporate Performance"
Q3: When was the company established?
Club Travel was established in July 1987 by Wally Gaynor whose philosophy it was to always give the client the best deal. This philosophy is still the driving force behind Club Travel today.
Q4: Where are the company headquarters and branches?
Club Travel's head office is located in Cape Town, on the 11th Floor of the Picbel Parkade, 58 Strand Street. The company's branches/partners are currently structured as follows:
Club Travel branded offices/ITCs (Independent Travel Consultants):
• Western Cape: Cape Town CBD, Westlake, Stellenbosch, Heidelberg, Brackenfell, Durbanville, Constantiaberg, Fish Hoek, George, Goodwood, Tokai, Somerset West
• Gauteng: Rosebank, Ontdekkers, Zoo Lake
• Eastern Cape: Algoa Bay
Affiliates: 66 located countrywide
Non-branded ITCs: 200+ located countrywide
Q5: How many people are employed at Club Travel?
184 staff members (excluding franchisees)
Q6: What are the major highlights for Club Travel in 2015?
1. Our company conference in May 2015; 2. The introduction of new technology to further better deals, service and complete our offering to clients; and 3. Growing our share of the South African travel market.
Q7: Who are the directors of Club Travel?
• Wally Gaynor - Managing Director
• Gary Mulder - Financial Director
• Charmaine van Niekerk - HR & Operations Director
• Jo Fraser - Franchise Director - Alternate
• Jerry Mabena - Non Executive Chairman
• Brett Hendricks - Chief Financial Officer, TTG
Q8: What is Club Travel's vision and mission?
Our team lives by our company DNA - see below: